Friday, February 5, 2010

TYPE 2: (Journal 3) Twenty Rules

Twenty Rules

1. Have a concept
2. Communicate don't decorate
3. Speak with one visual voice
4. Use two typeface families maximum. OK, maybe three
5. Use the one-two punch!
6. Pick colors of purpose
7. If you can do it with less, then do it
8. Negative space is magical- create it, don't just fill it up!
9. Treat the type as imagine, as thought it's just as important
10. Type is only type when it's friendly
11. Be universal; remember that it's not all about you
12. Squish and separate
13. Distribute light and dark like firecrackers and the rising sun
14. Be decisive. Do it on purpose- or don't do it at all
15. Measure with your eyes: design is visual
16. Create images- don't scavenge
17. Ignore fashion. Seriously.
18. Move it! Static equals dull
19. Look to history, but don't repeat it
20.Symmetry is the ultimate evil.

3 rules that I believe are important:

7. If you can do with, then do it.
- I believe this because it relates to the book covers that I am designing right now. I first started out throwing a ton of different elements into my design, thinking that I needed to hit every aspect of the Genocide in Darfur on the covers. Well, just an FYI it is IMPOSSIBLE to do something like that! I found that I could create a cover with certain elements that set the tone of the book and can allow the viewer to look at it and completely understand what the book is about without making it too cluttered and busy.
11. Be universal, remember it is not all about you.
- I like this because it is telling you that you need to design, not only for yourself but for the others who will be viewing your designs. It says that "The instant you forget-or shamelessly ignore- this little fact, you jeopardize the clarity of the message." This is completely right.
20. Symmetry is the ultimate evil.
- I can agree with this statement because 99.9% of the time... if it is symmetrical then it is boring. It does make it look as if the designer took the easy way out and slapped up his designs symmetrically just to get them done and over with. It shows a lack of creativity and thinking about his/her designs.

3 rules I need to practice more:

8. Negative space is magical- create it, don't just fill it up!
- I feel that I need to pay more attention to my negative space rather than worrying about filling it with another design or element. I tend to do this a lot and now that I think about it, I am sure that my designs would look a lot more thought out and appealing to the eye if I focused on using the negative space in an interesting way.
16. Create images- don't scavenge
-This definitely relates to the book covers that I am designing. I was frantically looking for images to fill the overs of my three books and have now wound up with over 120 images that I am NOT USING! All of the images on my book for the final series are what I have created my self. I need to realize that this is a more efficient and effective way of designing for future challenges.
2. Communicate don't decorate
- I do have a difficult time deciding the difference between communicating and decorating my designs. I think that I feel that color fields and similar design elements help communicate my deigns all the time, when they are actually doing the opposite and are making them look more decorative than designed.

3 rules I want to ignore:

17. Ignore fashion. Seriously
- Honestly, I never focus in on this in my designs. I try to think of more abstract and unique ideas when designing a concept (not saying that I successfully accomplish this tasks, or anything.)
12. Squish and separate
- I feel that I have a pretty good understanding about what looks good when trying to convey tension in designs and what makes a design look good. I also have 20 other classmates that help critique what does and does not work in my designs so I am less worried about following this rule than I am others.
5. Use the one-two punch!
- Again, it is nice having 20 pairs of eyes in the class to help notice if the hierarchy in my designs is working or not working at all. I feel like this a rule that is pretty simple to follow naturally and is common sense. I know that I may not create the best hierarchy all the time but it is simple to fix and make better.


1 comment:

Followers